[rc5] A possibly stupid idea

Jeff Lawson jlawson at hmc.edu
Fri May 30 11:09:57 EDT 1997

At 05:20 PM 5/29/97 -0400, Fedor Kouranov wrote:
>Well, the idea has been floating around, but I feel the general
>attitude is 'ain't worth'. Essentially, one could concoct a kernel
>from a client (source available), a modest tcp stack, and a loader
>(say, from Linux). Is there such enthusiast around?

There is no need for a special OS to be designed, nor do we have the
resources to do so.  Everything in Linux is designed especially for 386
because of the hardware task protection, and selectors, and stuff.  The 286
introduced crude 16-bit versions of such task protection, but all of the
Linux kernel would have to be rewritten to accommodate that.  Not worth the
time.

If anything, MS-DOS running DOS ethernet packet drivers would be the way it
gets done.  The new client has greater code encapsulation, which would make
it easy to accommodate for the differences in the networking APIs of
Berekeley sockets and WATTCP (which I what I would use if I get around to
making a DOS version).

Jeff