[rc5] keyspace flaw

Racer X shagboy at optical.mindstorm.com
Fri May 30 15:13:05 EDT 1997

On Thu, 29 May 1997, Benedikt Eric Heinen wrote:

> If we start using random block distribution now, that'd mean any possible
> competing party cannot gain from what we do (unless they have access to
> the log on bovine).

>From http://rc5.distributed.net:
  It is important to note that this is not about one team versus another,
  or about who actually cracks the key. This is an effort to demonstrate
  to the U.S. government that 56-bit encryption is not sufficient as an
  international encryption mechanism.

So why do you care if someone beats us to the key, or if they can skip
keys based on what we do?

shag

Judd Bourgeois          PGP key ID 0xEDC21CA1
shagboy at mindstorm.com   25DDE4AF C5AFEF51 6905DC77 360F0387
The first duty of a revolutionary is to get away with it.
     -- Abbie Hoffman