[rc5] keyspace flaw

Marc Sissom msissom at dnaent.com
Fri May 30 14:57:56 EDT 1997

At 02:13 PM 5/30/97 -0400, you wrote:
>On Thu, 29 May 1997, Benedikt Eric Heinen wrote:
>
>> If we start using random block distribution now, that'd mean any possible
>> competing party cannot gain from what we do (unless they have access to
>> the log on bovine).
>
>>From http://rc5.distributed.net:
>  It is important to note that this is not about one team versus another,
>  or about who actually cracks the key. This is an effort to demonstrate
>  to the U.S. government that 56-bit encryption is not sufficient as an
>  international encryption mechanism.
>
>So why do you care if someone beats us to the key, or if they can skip
>keys based on what we do?

Especially since that is basically what we are all doing right now anyway.
I'm taking advantage of every other bovine CPU to help fill the space. All
you "other" guys are really helping me out! Why, you are even cooperating
with me since you take care not to assign me any key blocks that have
already been checked!

That's what any sane "other" group would do, that is, they'd join what
ever group has already covered the most ground. Unless they have some
problem with Project Gutenberg, or just want to take as much time as is
possible.