[rc5] US laws?

Tim Charron tcharron at interlog.com
Fri May 30 22:23:38 EDT 1997

> > I couldn't really get a straight answer on this on the irc-channel:
>
> And I can't give you a straight answer either.
>
> > Are the rc5-clients subject to US laws on export of strong cryptography?
> > I see that there are computers in Europe working so either there has
> > been "a workaround" (like: "it's really developed in Monaco" :-) ) or we
> > just don't care. What happens if a non-US client cracks the key. Will
> > the challenge fall anyway because of US laws.

I can't offer anything more official than my 2 cents...
The clients that are distributed are only useful for attempting to
decrypt one specific message.  They are useless for secure
communications since there is no 'encryption' routine.  The
decryption code is virtually identical to that distributed on the RSA
ftp site as an appendix to the Rivest paper (which does include
encryption code).  I doubt it would be there if it wasn't permitted.
Tim Charron
tcharron at interlog.com
tcharron at ctfinance.com
http://www.interlog.com/~tcharron/