[rc5] Weird.

James Mastros root at jennifer-unix.dyn.ml.org
Sat Nov 1 11:23:14 EST 1997

On Fri, 31 Oct 1997, Skip Huffman wrote:
> I have four systems, only one has internet connection.  I run them from
> the same set of buffers and ini file.  I just noticed the -runoffline
> parameter so I added it to the three non-connected systems.  When I
> restart all four systems, I notice that they are all starting at about
> 14%  and all on the very same block.
>
> This does not seem right.

Looks like sombody forgot to seed the "random" number generator.  No seed,
no randomness...  So (almost) every block ever done randomly by that client
is going to overlap...  Not a good thing <G>.  I betcha that there will be
an update RSN (Real Soon Now).

	-=- James Mastros

---
When the annals of distributed computing are written, and the name 'Bovine'
appears in there, I can say "Hey, I was a part of that, I checked .0012% of
the keyspace".
	-=- Brian Wilson <wilsonb at mindspring.net>
Go to www.distributed.net before I come make you!