[rc5] IRC as primary means of communications.

James Mastros root at jennifer-unix.dyn.ml.org
Sat Nov 1 12:06:11 EST 1997

On Wed, 29 Oct 1997, Joseph Fisk wrote:
> On Tue, 28 Oct 1997 wooledge at kellnet.com wrote:
>
> > As these headers from your message show, the message is timestamped all
> > along its route, from your machine all the way to mine.
>
> Many (most) mail readers do not show the complete header.  Pine, for
> example, replaces the actual complete header with one prepended by
> majordodo.  This is one of the basic principles of spoofing/bombing.
>
> Joseph

Huha?  To get the full header set from pine, hit 'h'.  It is true that
bouncing through majordomo (which is what I assume you meant) does modify
some headers, but "Date" and "Recived" are passed through.  Indeed,
majordomo adds at least one recived header (depending on the snmp listener
it goes through).

The normal way to fake headers is to telnet into a machines snmp port, and
type the message in with whatever headers you want it to have.  You still
get one "Recived" header from the machine you telneted into, but if you make
a good choice of machine, that header won't identify you.  Or, for that
matter, you could telnet in to a shell server, and loggin with someone elses
username/password.

	-=- James Mastros

PS -- Not that I would do any of that...
---
When the annals of distributed computing are written, and the name 'Bovine'
appears in there, I can say "Hey, I was a part of that, I checked .0012% of
the keyspace".
	-=- Brian Wilson <wilsonb at mindspring.net>
Go to www.distributed.net before I come make you!