[rc5] RC5 Chips?

Dave Zarzycki zarzycki at ricochet.net
Sat Nov 1 09:42:56 EST 1997

On 11/1/97 9:05 AM, Brian B. Burton (brian at burtons.com) wrote:

>Aren't you wasting your time? I don't mean this in an offensive way, but el
>cheapo PowerPC chips crank out keys checked... A 200Mhz 603e chip can do
>550Kk/sec. These chips cost around $150? Why not build a PCI board with 12
>empty sockets for $100-200. Then add PowerPC chips as needed. A full board
>would do 6600Kk/sec for $2000, a starter board would do 1100Kk/sec for $500,
>with an extra 550Kk/sec for every $150 spent. Plus, You could probably
>reprogram the 603e chips to do different things later.

Sigh... Why that won't work.

Reason number one: PowerPC chips, by default could not be used in a
socket. They need to be soldered on to something. Hence a board needs to
be made. Translation $$$

Reason number two: FPGAs cost a fraction of the price and offer more bang
for the buck.

Reason number three: You can't reprogram CPU chips, only the software.
The advantage of FPGAs is that they are reprogramable at the hardware
level.

There are probably more reasons, but you get the idea.

davez

Dave Zarzycki                                Student
Intern                                       San Jose State University
Apple Computer, Inc.                         dzarzyck at email.sjsu.edu
zarzycki at apple.com                           zarzycki at ricochet.net