[rc5] RC5 Chips?

Brian B. Burton brian at burtons.com
Sat Nov 1 12:59:45 EST 1997

There is ONE substancial argument against FPGAs. According to the below
mentioned web page, a FPGA will do approx 20Kkey/sec /chip at a cost of
$15.00. You will still have a relatively small run of PCI  (or ISA for that
matter) boards which will drive it's price up to $150-200 apiece (how many
people are going to spend GOOD money on a board that can only do one thing
(which  realisticly will never make them any money, or improve the
performane of their computer for other tasks) So take that PCI card, drop 20
FPGAs on it, and you have??? 400Kkey/sec for a cost of around $500. ( I just
went to ComPUKEsa and bought 2 used Performa 6400/180s which do 500Kk/sec
for $540 each, and they can be used for other things which WILL make me
money)
So you would need HOW MANY of these FPGA cards in HOW BIG a case with WHAT
SIZE refrigeration unit before you actually gained some real speed. My
calculations show you'd need 330 chips to do 6600Kkeys a second. That's 16.5
boards!  for a cost of $8250. (not counting the computer, case and afore
mentioned refrigerator.)
For the PowerPC I am only suggesting as much code as needed (burned to an
onboard ROM) to handle reading a possible combination out of a ram chip,
doing the calculation, and returning the result to the ram chip. THE bovine
client on the master computer would handle all netwoking using the real
computer's functionality.

Your turn...
The Great BrianB

Protect your right to own and arm bears.