[rc5] RC5 Chips?

Ryan Dumperth woodie at indy.net
Sat Nov 1 13:15:37 EST 1997

>The MacOS only handles upto 4 processors with a DayStar hack that tries to
>offload separate program processes to separate processors.  It doesn't
>alway work.  Unless the OS is optimized for multiprocessors, then you still
>have 1 processor handling all I/O, etc.  In essence the OS will run on 1
>processor and send tasks to other processors if the the program is coded to
>do so and if conditions are right.

Fortunately this hack is exactly what suits RC5 best. The primary processor
handles scheduling and interrupts, and the other processor (or three) are
devoted 100.00% to the RC5 cracking code, with no competition from
anything. Meggs' code has supported this since his v2 client was
introducted. If a program is coded to the MP API, it will utilize the
additional processors. There is nothing hit-and-miss about it. Check out
<http://gemma.apple.com/dev/mpdev.shtml>.