[rc5] RC5 Chips?

dkelly at hiwaay.net dkelly at hiwaay.net
Sat Nov 1 15:52:45 EST 1997

mbcwam at anet-stl.com said:
> Using mult-purpose CPUs would be dumb.  First you'd have to Fab a
> board. Plus you'd need a OS that can multitask among 12 chips...AIX
> can handle that, the MacOS needs ASICs and ROMS and currently doesn't
> handle muliprocessors, and I don't think Linux will handle 12
> processors either. Speaking of an OS, I guess you'd have to license it
> or buy a copy...another problem.  Writing your own would be kind of
> hard.  FPGAs take most of that out of the equation.

Who says you need an OS? DOS programmers get by without an OS. You
simply write the code for the CPU, stuff it into memory, release
RESET and let it go. Then expect it to IRQ its host when finished. The
host software would be a variation of the personal proxy server.

At the high level its EXACTLY the same thing you'd do for an FPGA
solution. The host would init the hardware and probably upload the FPGA
image. Write the block desired into a register. Tell it to go. And wait
for the answers.

David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly at hiwaay.net