[rc5] RC5 Chips?

Joseph Fisk joe at rm405n-a.roberts.fit.edu
Sun Nov 2 05:30:47 EST 1997

On Sat, 1 Nov 1997, Darxus wrote:

> On Sat, 1 Nov 1997, Brian B. Burton wrote:
>
> > I'm all for experimentation, and reusing free stuff. (I have 5 20Mhz 68040's
> > cranking out 20Kkeys/sec myself!) BUT, I am just the kind of computer nut
> > who WILL spend $1000-1500-maybe $2000 to get a board that I could stuff in a
> > PCI slot that gives me 10,000Kk/sec. (even if it can't do anything else.)
>
> I'm not interested in a card that will *only* do RC5 keys, but I *am*
> willing to put $$$ into a PCI card full of chips dedicated to
> distributed.net's V3 protocol, when it happens.  I don't care if it's a
> card full of FPGAs, or some kind of commonly mass-produced CPUs with
> specially written low-level code.  whichever can do the most crunching for
> the $$$.
>
> And I'm guessing me & Brian aren't the only ones.

Well, I'm certainly interested in the idea but I definitely would not pay
hundreds of dollars for a dedicated card.  It provides no tangible benefit
to _me_, so why should I spend _my_ money?  I'm more than happy to go out
of my way to recruit as many CPUs as possible, and I love the competition.

Anyway, doesn't making a dedicated multi-CPU card take us above the level
of a "loosely organized group of hackers using their idle CPU time"?

BTW the card doesn't need to be PCI.. the I/O requirement is minimal.
Just send the board a start address (the block number) and tell it to do
2^28 iterations.

Joseph