[rc5] Platform/client speed differences...

Joseph Fisk joe at rm405n-a.roberts.fit.edu
Sun Nov 2 05:46:10 EST 1997

On Sat, 1 Nov 1997, Brian Neal wrote:

> I have used both the win32 and FreeBSD versions of the client,
> and the FreeBSD version seems slower.
>
> Is there a speed difference, or is this just my imagination?

Well, is it slower or not?  Look at the numbers!

The win32 client will almost definitely be slower, unless your FreeBSD box
handles a few users and provides other services.

On my Linux box, I get mebbe 300keys/sec less than DOS, so the
multitasking is obviously extremely efficient.  FreeBSD, being a Unix,
would have the same efficiency, so I would assume that on the same machine
a Unix client would always be faster than any Windows platform.

Joseph