[rc5] Processor Core Autoselection

Justin Cave jocave at MIT.EDU
Sun Nov 2 20:53:34 EST 1997

At 08:01 PM 11/2/97 , you wrote:
>I am using a 200 MHz pentium mmx, but when I let the client autoselect
>the cpu core,
>it chooses AMD/Cyrix.

When the client starts up, it runs a quick test with each of the cores and
uses the fastest one.  This may vary from the expected, as in your case,
depending on what your system is doing.  If other programs are running
during some but not all of the core tests, the results will be screwy.  On
the other hand, it's conceivable that, in the instances, an unexpected core
is faster in general because of the system configuration.