[rc5] [ADMIN] v3 - SPOILERS OF DOOM!!!

Adam L. Beberg beberg at distributed.net
Sun Nov 2 21:17:38 EST 1997

Greetings... As promised it's spoiler time...
Some of this I've said before, some is new...
I'll try not to reveal too much of the really good stuff :) seems as soon
as I announce something these days someone else announces the same
thing...

- the v3 protocol supports multiple simultaneous projects to be happening
with the client able to select from the available clients based on
integer/floating point use, bandwidth, memory usage, etc...

- it also supports more "realtime" work, where packets are timed out by
the proxies or clients if work isn't completed in time. This is for
applications like distributed chess, where you only have 3 minutes to
distribute and return all results, or in cases where is work isn't
returned it will be reassigned...

- N-level proxy networks, for data intensive applications, more levels of
proxy network allow the handling of high data overheads more elegantly.
This also allows you to put your personal proxies right in the thick of
things, tho they have a completely different function from current
P-Proxies...

- cores will be CPU/OS specific C/C++/ASM to gain all possible speed. Java
will never be used. Java has it's place, this isn't it. period.

- signed cores/commands... PGP style security model for the code, so bad
cores don't get slipped in... Cores won't run, and commands won't be
accepted unless they are signed by a user that's allowed to do so... If
you don't trust the standard cores, disallow auto-updates, then compile
and sign your own cores... Note there is no encryption involved, only
authentication, so our ITAR friends should be OK...

- online (connected 24/7 and not behind firewalls) vs. offline hosts will
be treated slightly differently... online hosts will be able to report
more stats and things, since there is no reliable way to identify a unique
offline host.  They will also be allowed to do real time projects, there
are just some things you cannot do if the client isn't going to be netlive
for an indefinite amount of time...

- I've found several people qualified to participate in the peer review,
as well as the current coding team, and I have more on my list to contact
so in a couple more weeks, we should be ready to start coding...

- Adam L. Beberg
  beberg at distributed.net
  distributed.net coordinator
  http://www.iit.edu/~beberg/