[rc5] I'm interested in FPGAs. How do I start ?

Darxus darxus at Op.Net
Mon Nov 3 21:36:23 EST 1997

I know very little about FPGAs, and I wish to remedy this.

I believe this technology may be within my price range, in fact, it may be
possible for me to be able to get a setup with a number of these chips.

I could not find a FPGA FAQ on ftp://rtfm.mit.edu, and unfortunately there
seem to be bad connections between me and http://www.plnv.com (somewhere
in the netcom.com domain) at the moment.

I am interested in the possibility of porting such things as:
 * OpenGL (http://www.sgi.com/Technology/OpenGL)
 * general (substantial?) floating point acceleration
 * MPEG video & audio (other formats as well)
 * distributed computing projects, including:
    + the RC5 Challenge (http://www.rsa.com/rsalabs/97challenge/),
      specifically the Bovine Project (http://rc5.distributed.net)
    + distributed Chess
    + the Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search (GIMPS)
      (http://www.mersenne.org/)
    + searching for optimal Golomb rulers
      (http://members.aol.com/golomb20/index.html)

  and, most importantly, the V3 cross-platform open distributed networking
  protocol, being developed by the distributed.net folks.

>From what I have found, it seems that Xilinx makes good chips, but I do
not know if there are commercially available PCI cards available with
these chips.  If not, I am willing to get some schematics an learn to
build a PCI card of my own.

Whatever it takes.

My operating system of choice is Linux on an x86 platform, but I can do
Windows 95 as well, if necessary.

I like what I've heard of this technology, and it blows my mind that it is
not much more commonplace.

Any and all information you can give me on where I can get this stuff, how
much this technology will cost me, how much power I can get for this cost
(I'm looking for around $500 ?), and what I can do with it -- and how I
can learn how to do what I can do with it, will be most greatly
appreciated.