[rc5] Win32 GUI client is a trojan?

Walter Taninatz waldo at voicenet.com
Mon Nov 3 23:00:34 EST 1997

I know sometimes sysadmins seem a bit paranoid. These guys usually
have pretty heavy workloads and face many threats both internal and
external. If they tell you don't run the client on their system, for
whatever reason, DON'T. They may have reasons which they are
uncomfortable stating publicly.
Sysadmins provide a much needed service and the ones I know work very
hard. They don't always have time to dis-assemble people's source,
etc. If you cross them...

Well, you get the idea.

Regards,
Walt

At 08:53 PM 11/3/97 -0600, you wrote:
>They just don't want you running it.
>
>I've read the source code, and there is no danger of password
>changing or whatnot.
>
>It does only what it says it does and nothing more.
>
>Don't fear, just ignore your sysadmins who can't think of a good
reason
>why you shouldn't run the client.
>
>Daniel
>
>> Hi,
>> 	I was peacefully running the GUI win32 client at work and a few
>> network administrators noticed it and began investigating it.  Two
sys admins
>> ran it on their machines and claimed that it was changing
passwords (they did
>> not elaborate).  Does anyone have any experience with this sort of
behaviour?
>> I always felt that the client was _completely_ benign and would
not have been
>> running it if I had not believed so!  Please set my mind at ease!
>>
>> --Ron
>>       o           Work to live; \   rvan at tiger.cudenver.edu
>>      /\            Live to bike; \   http://www-
math.cudenver.edu/~rvan
>>    _`\ `_<===       Bike to work! \
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

(http://www.cuckoo.com)
>----
rc5' in the body.

  Walt Taninatz
 mailto:waldo at voicenet.com        http://www.voicenet.com/~waldo
|     export-a-crypto-system-sig RSA-3-lines-PERL                 |
|     #!/bin/perl -sp0777i<X+d*lMLa^*lN%0]dsXx++lMlN/dsM0<j]dsj   |
|     $/=unpack('H*',$_);$_=`echo 16dio\U$k"SK$/SM$n\EsN0p[lN*1   |
|     lK[d2%Sa2/d0$^Ixp"|dc`;s/\W//g;$_=pack('H*',/((..)*)$/)     |