[rc5] Win32 GUI client is a trojan?

The Man theman at fallout.dyndns.com
Mon Nov 3 20:55:19 EST 1997

Martin C Sweitzer wrote:

> Excerpts from rc5Distrib: 3-Nov-97 Re: [rc5] Win32 GUI client .. by
> Walter Taninatz at voicenet
> > external. If they tell you don't run the client on their system, for
> > whatever reason, DON'T. They may have reasons which they are
> > uncomfortable stating publicly.
> > Sysadmins provide a much needed service and the ones I know work very
> > hard. They don't always have time to dis-assemble people's source,
> > etc. If you cross them...
> >
> > Well, you get the idea.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Walt
>
> uhh wrong answer Walt.  If I told you not to run something would you
> jsut listen to me.  Even if I was the sys admin?  If you do they are a
> trained dog and I have some fido snacks for you to eat.

Not at all. It's one thing to run any program you want on machines you
own or administer, including distributed clients. It's something else
entirely to insist that your employer allow you to use their machines
(and bandwidth, however little) for any old purpose. Corporate property
is supposed to be used for corporate purposes in most companies -
allowing unofficial activities is just doing you a favor. They don't
have to by any means. Regardless of the merits of this "password
modification" argument (i.e. it's bogus), I know that as a system
administrator, if I tell somebody not to run a program, I expect that it
not be run - period. Try to convince them to let you run it, but if they
say not to, DON'T. It's not worth the consequences.

Keith Wesolowski		theman at fallout.dyndns.com
University of Nevada - CS/EE	Visit Reno's Fastest Computer!!!
The Fallout Shelter - North	http://fallout.dyndns.com/