[rc5] Win32 GUI client is a trojan?

The Man theman at fallout.dyndns.com
Tue Nov 4 00:30:39 EST 1997

Martin C Sweitzer wrote:

[lots of deletia]

> Stand up for what is correct.  Hell you are standing up to the notion
> that the current key lengths are wrong.  Why do you not just roll over
> and play good trained person and say no no the current key lengths are
> just fine.

What is "correct" is that the people who own hardware have the right to
decide how it is used, and to delegate that right to others (i.e.
sysadmins). Excerpt from the RC5-64 FAQ (
http://www.distributed.net/rc5/FAQ/#HP0030 ):
---BEGIN---
What shouldn't I use to participate?

You shouldn't run the client on any machine that you do not own or
administrate. For instance, it is considered bad form to run the client
on your ISP's servers without their knowledge or permission.
---END---

This doesn't leave much room for interpretation, IMO. If we want people
to respect our right to encryption, we must at minimum respect others'
right to use their machines as they see fit. Otherwise, where does it
stop? Can Joe FBI Agent just feel free to run clients to crack real
messages on YOUR machine?

Keith Wesolowski		theman at fallout.dyndns.com
University of Nevada - CS/EE	Visit Reno's Fastest Computer!!!
The Fallout Shelter - North	http://fallout.dyndns.com/