[rc5] Win32 GUI client is a trojan?

Christiaan cstoudt at earthlink.net
Tue Nov 4 07:32:10 EST 1997

> > external. If they tell you don't run the client on their system, for
> > whatever reason, DON'T. They may have reasons which they are
> > uncomfortable stating publicly.
> > Sysadmins provide a much needed service and the ones I know work very
> > hard. They don't always have time to dis-assemble people's source,
> > etc. If you cross them...

Don't cross the sysadmins. If they say not to run it then true you
shouldn't run it. But they should at least provide a valid reason and not a
bogus one. I would assume that the second they heard the client "cracks"
anything they immediately assume it is trying to get a password or
anything.

Yes sysadmins work hard. But there are many out there that have all ego and
no knowledge. They provide bogus information and lead you down false paths.
Some of this occurs because they don't know anything and others because
they fear the person might want their job.

It is very likely if he could of gotten the sysadmins to listen and look at
the RC5 page they might of been drawn to the idea and ended up running the
client on all the systems....

Sincerely,

Christiaan Stoudt       | cstoudt at earthlink.net
Technical Writer        | voice:(626)296-5811
Tech Support Tools      | http://help.earthlink.net
EarthLink Network, Inc. | http://www.earthlink.net
3100 New York Drive     |  The shortest distance between two points,
Pasadena, CA 91107      |  is to jump as many curbs as possible.

On Mon, 3 Nov 1997, Martin C Sweitzer wrote:

> Excerpts from rc5Distrib: 3-Nov-97 Re: [rc5] Win32 GUI client .. by
> Walter Taninatz at voicenet
> > external. If they tell you don't run the client on their system, for
> > whatever reason, DON'T. They may have reasons which they are
> > uncomfortable stating publicly.
> > Sysadmins provide a much needed service and the ones I know work very
> > hard. They don't always have time to dis-assemble people's source,
> > etc. If you cross them...

> uhh wrong answer Walt.  If I told you not to run something would you
> jsut listen to me.  Even if I was the sys admin?  If you do they are a
> trained dog and I have some fido snacks for you to eat.

> Don't let people throw around their titles. EVER.

... And any sysadmin who is uncomfortable telling his or her users the
truth is keeping, as they say, too many secrets.

My guess is, "it changes passwords" is the extent of the comprehension
these sysadmins have of what the distributed.net client does...

                       -Steve Langasek, erstwhile sysadmin in his own right
-doink-

in the body.