[rc5] Win32 GUI client is a trojan?

Scott McDermott scottm at kcls.org
Tue Nov 4 10:17:06 EST 1997

On Tue, 4 Nov 1997, Christiaan wrote:

> But they should at least provide a valid reason and not a bogus one.

I don't so much know about that.  I'm a nice guy.  I usually explain
things to people as best I can.  However, sometimes I just need to say
"you can't do that because I said so."  Launching into a 30 minute lecture
on the background the user needs to begin to understand my reasons is not
an option.

> I would assume that the second they heard the client "cracks"
> anything they immediately assume it is trying to get a password or
> anything.

We all know about assumptions.  Oh by the way, did you know that a good
sysadmin is paranoid?  It goes with the territory.

> Yes sysadmins work hard. But there are many out there that have all ego and
> no knowledge.

And they get replaced we when something happens that they can't handle.

> It is very likely if he could of gotten the sysadmins to listen and look at
> the RC5 page they might of been drawn to the idea and ended up running the
> client on all the systems....

If he didn't start out by sending the admin to www.distributed.net, then
the user screwed up.  It's also important to note that we only have a tiny
piece of the story.  If the sysadmin in question were to tell us his
reasons, we may interpret it differently than this user did.  We only have
one side of the coin here.