[rc5] Mac client problems

David McNett nugget at slacker.com
Tue Nov 4 12:41:25 EST 1997

Rob Winters had these problems when he tried to diagnose his connection
errors:
>When telnet'ing from an adjacent workstation, I get:
>
>$ telnet rc5proxy.distributed.net 2056
>Trying 199.45.111.6...
>telnet: connect to address 199.45.111.6: Connection refused
>telnet: connect to address 207.43.209.10: Connection refused
>Connected to rc5proxy.distributed.net.
>Escape character is '^]'.
>Connection closed by foreign host.

Trying to be helpful, Aaron Porter offered:
>I would assume that not all proxies are Unix machines, and as such
>you can't telnet to all of them.  Or they could just have the telnet port
>refusing connects from the net in general.

The reality is:

Port 2056 (as well as the telnet port, which Rob did not try) is the old,
outdated, 56-bit server.  Many of the round-robin keyservers are no longer
supporting the 56-bit server port, which is why you've gotten a refused
connection.  The new 64-bit servers run on (guess...) port 2064.
-/\/ugget