[rc5] Win32 GUI client is a trojan? (My last comment on this thread)

Haberlach, Adam HaberlaA at testlab.orst.edu
Tue Nov 4 10:54:19 EST 1997

- -----Original Message-----
From:	Martin C Sweitzer [SMTP:msew+ at andrew.cmu.edu]
Sent:	Monday, November 03, 1997 9:54 PM
To:	rc5 at llamas.net
Subject:	Re: [rc5] Win32 GUI client is a trojan?

Excerpts from rc5Distrib: 3-Nov-97 RE: [rc5] Win32 GUI client ..
by
"Haberlach, Adam"@testla
>> >Don't let people throw around their titles. EVER.
>> Sysadmin is a title.  The experience and responsibilities that

>> go with it is much more.
>ok am I only one just laughing my ass off right now.

Nah, but I usually ignore the ones who laugh at such things.  I
usually re-route their packets as well.

>You are making all these great assumptions about what a sysadmin
is and
>isn't.  And who these sysadmins are and are not.

I have been a system administrator for a few different systems.
I know the deal.

>The fact these guys think that RC-64 is changing passwords sorta
leads
>me to believe that they are absolute morons or have something
personal
>against RC5 cracking.

Or they are busy and don't have time to check the RC5 client.  Or
that they don't feel like explaining viruses, trojans, and
security models to the person in question.  They simply have
better things to do.  Things which are important to their
mission, and not important to yours.

>One thing that is really interesting is that all these people
seem to
>hold their sysadmins as demi-gods.  If the sysadmin has a good
track
>record then yes he should be respected.
>But just like anyone in power.  you make a stupid decision based
on some
>brain dead theory.  You are GONE.  see ya.

That is why (Good) Sysadmins are cautious.  They don't jump into
things which they cannot jump out of.  It is much easier to tell
someone they cannot run an untested and untrusted piece of
software on their computer then to clean up after them when it
starts causing problems.

>This is my merriment for the week.  Wonder how many other morons
will
>come to the cry and defend the sysadmins when they are obviously
making
>biased and unfounded decisions.

Doesn't matter.  Sysadmins are in charge.

>Also I wonder how many of the people making such remarks are
themselves
>sysadmins who just need that little bit more power.

See the above.  Sysadmins HAVE the power.

>And further I wonder how many are just trained people.  Cmere
boy ruff ruff.

Usually very well trained people.  The average person (still)
knows almost nothing about computers.  The average computer user
does not know much more.  That is why sysadmins aren't usually
tolerant of stupidity from people who think they know everything
about computers--it is usually true stupidity, not just
misinformation or naievete.

>Stand up for what is correct.  Hell you are standing up to the
notion
>that the current key lengths are wrong.  Why do you not just
roll over
>and play good trained person and say no no the current key
lengths are
>just fine.

Err, I don't see your reasoning here, so I won't even respond to
this argument.

>msew  yeah I am in bad mood and yeah you are getting the brunt
of it and
>yeah you did deserve every bit of it.  Please think before you
say such
>silly things as that all sysadmins are great and they deserve
our
>respect especially when biased decisions are being made.

	A.  I don't care if you are in a bad mood.
	B.  I did not deserve personal attacks.
	C.  I did think before I said "silly" things.
	D.  I never said all sysadmins are great.
	E.  I never said all sysadmins deserve your respect.

	I said the following:

	System Administrators are paid to provide a service, namely the
support of computers and networks and to make sure that they work
as expected when they are needed.  Unless you have permission
from someone above the Sysadmin, they have every right to tell
you not to run the distributed.net client, as it very likely does
not contribute to the purpose of those computer systems, and
could possibly detract from their efficiency.

	If you attempt to do things that are against their policies,
they usually have every right to take action to keep you from
doing it again, usually be restricting or eliminating access to
the computers they maintain.

- ---
Adam Haberlach
http://www