[rc5] Probable bug in RC564-linux-ix86-MT

Nix nix at esperi.demon.co.uk
Tue Nov 4 21:22:03 EST 1997

This message is by way of a corroboration; that running RC5/64-ix86-linux-MT,
I get the following error on an unsaturated, unfirewalled, unmasqueraded
net connection when doing an -update or a -fetch:

> RC5-64 v2.6401 client - a project of distributed.net
> Copyright distributed.net 1997
> Visit http://www.distributed.net/ for more information. 'rc564 HELP' for usage
>
> Network::Error Read failed3/0
> Network::Error Read failed 23/0
> SMTP server error
> Error in prepare_smtp_message
> Mail::sendmessage 1 - Unable to send mail message
> SMTP server error
> Error in prepare_smtp_message
> Mail::sendmessage 2 - Unable to send mail message
> SMTP server error
> Error in prepare_smtp_message
> Mail::sendmessage 3 - Unable to send mail message.  Contents discarded.
> SMTP server error
> Error in prepare_smtp_message
>
> An error occured during the update.

Everything, including sending the mail, works perfectly when doing a -flush.
And that first error message looks distinctly odd; the lack of a space makes
me think it's being generated by a rather different process than the
(presumably) generic error handling which is generating the other
Network::Errors that I from time to time see.

What the hell is error 3/0 and why does it pop up with such depressing
regularity?

Fixing this error in the V2 clients probably isn't very important because I
could churn away at random blocks for years and not duplicate much work, the
RC5-64 keyspace is so vast - but whateverthehell-it-is, it'd better be fixed
in the V3 clients or, er, I'll, er, fix it myself. (If the source really is
available, that is.)

--
`... courage, bravery and the indomitable human spirit were fine
things which nevertheless tended to take second place to the