[rc5] Quit your whining.

Dan Sugalski sugalskd at osshe.edu
Tue Nov 4 14:11:27 EST 1997

At 09:51 PM 11/4/1997 +0100, Povl H. Pedersen wrote:
>>The stats are working , the line to the server is overloaded .
>>The server and/or the connection will be moved to a better
>>connected site. Remember with the new team design the server is
>>a lot busier. The server is handling a larger load than it
>>did on rc5-56 ( and that was about 10x the cyberian volume)
>
>1. Move all the graphics to outside servers. Then we will cut down the
>amount of traffic considerable (at least to half).
>
>2. Move the DB to MySQL, and let other sites mirror it. Pushing the stats
>as a mysqldumped gzipped -9'ed file would not be nearly as hard. And then
>we would get around all those stupid Microsoft SQL server is not made to
>support more than xyz simultaneous users but we are still the best messages.

If the database can be changed over to something that can be accessed via
one of the Perl DBD modules and a networked database (Oracle and Informix,
at least, maybe others), the web pages can be served off a variety of
round-robinned servers that access a central database. If that database is
Informix, you don't even need client software on the remote web
servers--install DBD::Net on the client webservers and the DBD::Net agent
for Informix on the database server.

Alternately, if the problem is just flat-out overload on the pipes and
servers, set up a reverse-proxy style web server network. Push all the
database changes out to the remote servers and leave the main server as the
central data repository with the outlying servers more or less read-only,
just displaying what's in their local databases.

The web pages don't need *that* much data, anyway--last block and total
blocks for each e-mail and team, and the team image/blurb. More
processing's needed for team changes and stuff, but that can be pawned off
on the central server, since most of the people looking are probably just
checking stats anyway.

					Dan