[rc5] Win32 GUI client is a trojan?

wooledge at kellnet.com wooledge at kellnet.com
Tue Nov 4 19:37:58 EST 1997

> Two sys admins
> ran it on their machines and claimed that it was changing passwords (they did
> not elaborate).  Does anyone have any experience with this sort of behaviour?

One word: strace.

> a) they're having some fun at your expense, or
> b) they're using it as a reason (which you can't easily refute) to require you to stop running it

Nugget already gave reason "c" (another Bovine client already running).

But I'm surprised nobody has mentioned what seems to *me* to be the
obvious reason "d": scapegoat.  If there's been some sort of problem
lately -- someone's password was changed, or performance has been bad,
or any other problem -- and the sysadmins couldn't track it down --
the Bovine client makes a convenient scapegoat.  "Hmm, must've been that
rc5 thing -- we'd better not let him run that any more!"

I've worked with a few (titled) sysadmins who solved problems that way --
rather than figure out what's causing a problem, they just try to get
rid of anything they don't understand.

As a user, you have to do what the sysadmins say.  Let's be realistic;
if the police have set up yellow tape around an area and told you not
to enter it, are you going to cross the police line?  Some people might,
I suppose, but I certainly wouldn't.  If you don't respect the authority
of the sysadmins, you should consider finding a better employer.  It's
better to quit than be fired; and if you keep crossing the sysadmins'
rules, guess what's going to happen?

--
-------                   wooledge at kellnet.com                     -------