[rc5] stats problem

Joseph Fisk joe at rm405n-a.roberts.fit.edu
Tue Nov 4 20:27:54 EST 1997

On Tue, 4 Nov 1997, Joe Zbiciak wrote:

> 'Brian B. Burton' said previously:
>
> | Why not just have the "master" stats server "render" the pages as true html
> | every 4 or 6 hours, then offload them to distributed "slave" stats servers?
> | These pages would be  REALLY fast, as they aren't doing any backend work.
>
> Perhaps a happy medium would work better -- cache the "rendered" page after
> it's been rendered.  I doubt all 8000+ unique emails are all querying their
> stats faster than they're being updated, so those people who keep querying
> their own stats will get the cached copy so long as their own stats haven't
> changed.

Perhaps the best way would be to tell the proxy servers to send duplicates
of their data to a second stats machine:

1) Obtain another machine; copy everything on the main stats server onto
the new machine.

2) Tell all the proxy servers to report their results to both the
machines.

3) Set up both machines in a round-robin IP.

And, of course, the second machine would have to be placed on a different
backbone.

Team/induhvidual updates could be performed on only one server, and a
daily diff could be zipped and xferred to the second machine.  The total
diff size should be less than 500 megs each day, so as long as bandwith is
sufficient, keeping current should not be too difficult.  A good way to
handle this is to bring both machines down for an hour every day so their
bandwidth can be dedicated to the update.

At 100kb/sec, a 500 meg xfer would take about 1.5 hours.

Joseph