[rc5] rc5 docs.

Ranjit Annamalai rxa21 at po.cwru.edu
Wed Nov 5 09:23:42 EST 1997

Does this slow the client down, or is there some reason it is disabled
by default?  Up until now on my Win95 I had been losing quite a few
blocks to crashing because I didn't have the checkpoint files setup.  I
know some blocks have been resumed if the client properly shuts down
though this doesn't always happen for some reason.  At one point when I
had 90% of the block finished I quit and restarted only to "lose" the
block (doh!).

Ted Rathkopf wrote:

> Antek.Baranski at cern.ch said:
> > It saves the current status of the process every 5 min. if I remember
> > correctly. Soif the process gets killed it does not loose any time by
> > redoing 99% of a block.
>
> I'm not sure, but I think you are only half right.  It saves the
> current status so if the process dies a nasty death and doesn't have a
> chance to flush the block back onto the input buffer, the block isn't
> TOTALLY lost.  When it comes back up, it fetches the partially done
> block from the checkpoint file.
>
> But I could be wrong.
>
> --
> Ted Rathkopf
> trathkopf at bigfoot.com
>
> ----

R   a    n   j    i    t       A    n    n    a    m    a    l    a    i
Page me at 1-888-pagoo-44 id:4088935       http://www.netwalk.com/~meena