[rc5] Win32 client questions

David W. Murphy 910536m at dragon.acadiau.ca
Wed Nov 5 19:38:53 EST 1997

> >I just joined the rc5 effort last week, so please bear with a few newbie
> >questions.
> >
> >The NT clients seem to run overly slow on my machine.  I can get upwards of
> >230kk/sec on my 6x86-150 when running Linux.  However, the NT clients (both
> >svc and gui) max out about 115kk/sec.  I'm running the client at default
>
> 	I know I'm really shocked by this. I'd have to say that it is that
> wonderful example of all things Microsoft that causes this delay.

 this all boils back to NT4.0 disabling the wb cache on the cyrix
chip.  If you check some of the search engines, some guy has a site
devoted to cyrix chips and he has a patch that will let you re-enable the
cache.  It lets you get up to about 200 kk/sec.. still not the levels of
linux, but much better...
dave

--
David Murphy                       'I wanna make a dent in the universe.'
Ex-Student (read: Graduate, BCS), Consultant, Programmer, Developer