[rc5] Genetic Algoritms

Michael Driscoll fenris at frob.ml.org
Wed Nov 5 18:25:31 EST 1997

>I'm not quite sure what you're proposing.  Treat distributed.net as one
>large computer and release several programs that try to win by
>multipying so much that it takes everything over?  Isn't this virus-like
>behavior?  What is the benefit from this?
>
>I can see some benefits in learning about program interactions and
>genetic like behavior in software but what is the advantage of doing
>this on a distributed computer as opposed to a stand-alone?

No, that's not exactly what he's proposing.  corewar is a game popular
among asm aficianados.  The object of the game is to write a snippet of
asm code (in a made-up asm language called "redcode") which runs in
another program which acts like a computer running on the redcode
assembly.  The programs don't actually try to trash your core, instead
they only battle in the virtual machine created by the simulation
program.

It's a pretty nifty concept.  I'd suggest taking a look at
http://www.koth.org for more info on corewar.

Anyways, lemme just add my two thousand pesos and say that I think a
corewar evolution project would be *extremely* cool, and even sounds
plausible (apparently it's been done before, but to a much more limited
degree).  This would also do a bit for recruitment since it would tell
all corewar players about distributed.net.

Distributed genetic algorithms?  Wow, almost sounds like we can get
government funding for this :-)
		Mike
--
---.-- Thinking of Maud you forget everything else.--More--
------  <mdriscol at mines.edu>            http://frob.ml.org/