[rc5] Re: I'm interested in FPGAs. How do I start ? (fwd)

Darxus darxus at Op.Net
Wed Nov 5 21:48:23 EST 1997

***PGP fingerprint = D5 EB F8 E7 64 55 CF 91  C2 4F E0 4D 18 B6 7C 27***
               darxus at op.net / http://www.op.net/~darxus
         "You shall know the truth, and it shall make you odd."

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 04 Nov 1997 00:24:05 -0500
From: Bill Ewing <bewing at imxtech.com>
To: Darxus <darxus at monet.op.net>
Subject: Re: I'm interested in FPGAs.  How do I start ?

Darxus wrote:

> I know very little about FPGAs, and I wish to remedy this.

  FPGAs vary a lot from manufacturer to mfg. Xilinx are very cool, but
their development tools are expensive. Several manufacturers have
freebies, though. Specifically, Lattice Semiconductor has an excellent
package based on Data I/O's "Synario". I bugged a sales rep to get me a
disk for free, and it's really great. It's my understanding that it has
a schematic-entry tool, and a VHDL compiler, an equation comiler, and a
state-machine compiler, and you can mix-and-match so your design is a
cross-cultural mess!

  I needed it for PALs, but it also supports the bottom-of-the-line
ISPLI chips (In-Service-Programmable Logic ICs, i.e., RAM based). You
can do quite a lot with these, and then expand the system and still stay
within your budget! The only challenge is that you have to load the
RAMs. That should be easy, if you've done any digital design. Or, they
may have a prototype board you can buy. I think you start at
http://www.latticesemi.com. Remember, the salesman may be a little
reluctant, since he'll get commission only if you upgrade the system, or
make a killer design you can actually sell. Geepers! That makes me
wonder if you should be working for me! What do you do, and where do you
live? I just read your list. BIG projects...mostly software, I would
think. I would advise starting small, if no one's behind you. Ahhh, what
do I know? Go for it!

  I think Altera also has some freebies, but I never tried them.

  Also, you'll probably be forced to stick to Windows. Don't let that
stop you.

  Good luck. You're right, these things are absolutely amazing -- a
pleasure to work with (but be careful, they do what you tell them to,
not necessarily what you want...)

  --Bill