[rc5] Re: I'm interested in FPGAs. How do I start ? (fwd)

Darxus darxus at Op.Net
Thu Nov 6 20:08:24 EST 1997

***PGP fingerprint = D5 EB F8 E7 64 55 CF 91  C2 4F E0 4D 18 B6 7C 27***
               darxus at op.net / http://www.op.net/~darxus
         "You shall know the truth, and it shall make you odd."

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 1997 08:39:02 -0800
From: "Steven K. Knapp" <sknapp at optimagic.com>
To: darxus at op.net
Subject: Re: I'm interested in FPGAs.  How do I start ?

Darxus wrote in message ...

|I know very little about FPGAs, and I wish to remedy this.
|
|I believe this technology may be within my price range, in fact, it may
be
|possible for me to be able to get a setup with a number of these chips.

[snip]

I would recommend visiting The Programmable Logic Jump Station at
http://www.optimagic.com .  It has a comprehensive set of links to most
sites related to programmable logic including the device vendors, design
software, on-going academic and industrial research, newsgroups, books,
boards, consultants, etc.

|From what I have found, it seems that Xilinx makes good chips, but I do
|not know if there are commercially available PCI cards available with
|these chips.  If not, I am willing to get some schematics an learn to
|build a PCI card of my own.

You can find a variety of FPGA boards, including PCI cards, listed at
http://www.optimagic.com/boards.html .

[snip]

|I like what I've heard of this technology, and it blows my mind that it
is
|not much more commonplace.

I agree wholeheartedly!

|Any and all information you can give me on where I can get this stuff,
how
|much this technology will cost me, how much power I can get for this
cost
|(I'm looking for around $500 ?), and what I can do with it -- and how I
|can learn how to do what I can do with it, will be most greatly
|appreciated.

Most of the available design software will cost you between $1,000 and
$5,000 and is available on Windows and UNIX on various platforms (the
specifics depend a lot on the vendor).  A list of available software is
at http://www.optimagic.com/software.html .  Specifics about the
platforms supported are at http://www.optimagic.com/cae_a_m.html .  Some
vendors also provide free or low-cost versions of the software for
evaluation purposes.  See http://www.optimagic.com/lowcost.html for more
information.

Steven K. Knapp                 'Great designs happen "OptiMagic"-ally'
OptiMagic, Inc.
E-mail:  sknapp at optimagic.com
   Web:  http://www.optimagic.com
 Phone:  1-408-454-1811