[rc5] Connecting thry a proxy.

wooledge at kellnet.com wooledge at kellnet.com
Thu Nov 6 21:45:59 EST 1997

Christopher C. Petro (petro at playboy.com) wrote:

> I have been running the Bovine RC-65 Client since last week on a powermac
> here at work, but because of our (necessarily) facist firewall/poxy
> server(s) I can't seem to connect to the key server.

With or without passwords?  It's not fascist unless you need a password.
:-)

> (we have http &
> smtp access out)

HTTP mode is networking mode 4 on the CLI clients.  I don't know about
the Mac client.  After setting networking mode to HTTP proxy, you need
to set the address/hostname of your HTTP proxy server, and the port if
it's not 80.

You may also wish to hard-code one of the round-robin DNS addresses for
the key servers -- this was essential in 2.004, but I don't know if it's
important in the RC5-64 clients; I did it anyway.

Also, I'm pleased to report that the support for
fascist-HTTP-proxy-servers-with-passwords is working, at least with
the linux-mt client and the ANS InterLock firewall, behind which 3 more
worthy Linux boxes are now cracking away merrily.

--
-------                   wooledge at kellnet.com                     -------