[rc5] Proxy Question

wooledge at kellnet.com wooledge at kellnet.com
Thu Nov 6 21:52:16 EST 1997

Tom Marshall (tommym at owt.com) wrote:

> I've read some about the proxy servers but I don't fully understand what
> they do.  Can someone explain this to me?

I assume you're referring to the personal proxy servers (pproxies).

They're like key servers that you control -- they fetch keys from the
"real" proxy key servers and supply them to your clients.  Basically an
extra buffer.

> I have a 4-machine ethernet
> network here with a Linux server setup to dial-on-demand and masquerade out
> to The Net.  Would a proxy be of any benefit to me?

As far as I know, the only benefit would be that your d-o-d link wouldn't
be brought up for each client -- it would only be activated by the pproxy
when it needs to fetch a new hunk of blocks to feed to the clients.

As Jeff points out, though, this should really go to the pproxy mailing
list.

--
-------                   wooledge at kellnet.com                     -------