[rc5] Cubix 3001 processor board

Jeff Woods jeff at delta.com
Fri Nov 7 16:38:27 EST 1997

At 02:14 PM 11/7/97 -0600, you wrote:

>I tried plugging one into my Win95 system at home, and nothing happened...
>when I ran the driver utilities that I downloaded from
>http://www.cubix.com/ I was told that Novell Netware was not installed.
>
>I guess the question is: can three 386's from 1991 provide enough
>key-cracking power to be worth the time that would be involved in trying to
>figure out how to make them think they're in a file server?

Hell, I have TWENTY of these cards -- they are the ones that have TWO 386's
on each.   I've decided it ain't worth the time to set them up, because:

1) They HAVE to be in a Novell Server.

2) They are DISKLESS -- configuring Win95 and TCP to boot from a DISKLESS
   IMAGE FILE is a ROYAL pain in the ass.   (Best to do is to boot to DOS,
   and load Win31 from a common directory on the Novell server once loaded).

Looking at the client speeds, these things can do about 15,000 keys/sec,
per CPU.   I'd have forty of them, or about 600,000 keys/sec. (You'd get
more like 45,000 for your three single CPU boards).  That's an AWFUL lot of
effort to go through to get a key-cracker working..... I'll install a
client on a working machine, but I can't take the time to pull up VERY slow
obsolete machines to do so -- I estimate it'd take me two full days to get
all of them working with connectivity, and I can't afford that.   Easier
just to buy another P-II and set it cracking at the same speed.  ;-)