[rc5] Win32 GUI client is a trojan?

Joe Zbiciak j-zbiciak1 at ti.com
Mon Nov 10 07:17:16 EST 1997

'hrdluk' said previously:

| Oh come on, Software Police? what are you talking about?

There have been court cases regarding corporate software license violations.
Sure, the copyright police typically won't kick down your door.  Don't think
that just because the odds are small that they're zero.

| And while we're at it, I'd like to
| express the fact that I use pirated software,

Show of hands... Any law enforcement officers in the group?

My, aren't you Mr. Cool, with your WaReZ.  *sigh*  I'm glad this persona
isn't the "model persona" of the Bovine effort.  At least, I'd hope not.
I 'crack' on RC5 because I think it's a cool engineering hack, to run a
distributed process this large.

On the flip side of piracy and copy protection, the big dirty secret
that the Software Industry won't let out is that sure, piracy seems to
erode profits, especially on small-run software, but on true mass
market items (the things that really get pirated), it actually gives
them greater market share, and thus, in the long run, makes them better
off.  Why do you think that copy protection is non-existant on most
application packages nowadays?

Imagine -- a bunch of high schoolers and college kids who all need to
write papers and stuff, go pirate MS Word 7.0.  They learn it, they
like it, they know it.  Now, they go get jobs in industry -- guess
what? With all these people out there exposed to MS Word, MS Word is
wedged in as the standard.  Businesses, since they're a bit larger
customer and alot more paranoid about lawsuits, will rather buy the
software than risk piracy -- so that's where the companies make their
big bucks.   You can apply this argument to alot of products -- MS Windows
probably being the best example of all time.

(Show of hands -- who here has run MS Windows 3.1x or Windows95 on their
personal machine.  Now, who here has *purchased* all of their installed
copies of Win3.1x or Win95?  See?)

| I run bovine on computers
| that I don't own but do operate, whose owners do not know or can even
| understand what encryption is,  and I go faster that 55mph on the
| highway.

My, aren't you Mr. Big Man.  Is this your inferiority complex or your
insecurity about your manhood driving this behavior?

So you're cool because you understand something other people can't.  Ooh.
Why don't you do something useful with your adolescent angst and energy and
try to *educate* these people?

| How about you spread your pitiful morals somewhere else and
| start talking about cracking.  This list is starting to sound like a
| bunch of tired old has-beens who shout "rule #1, CYA"  twelve times a
| day,  have yet to grow a set of balls and conform to every company policy
| handed down by management.  once again cracking not company policy

Pitiful morals?  *cough* *cough*  You?  Authority on morals?  Pfft.

While I'm not one to defend all that comes down from "On High", I do
see the value of following policy, and challenging it if it's stupid.
Challenging a policy is quite alot different than ignoring it
outright.  If you don't like the 55 MPH speed limit on the roads, then
lobby for it to get raised.  If you and all your friends and everybody
you've ever met speeds on a regular basis, you could probably drum up
support pretty easily.  Otherwise, pay the consequences when you get
caught, and don't complain to anyone about it.

Same goes for any policy handed down from "On High" -- if it's flawed,
or even downright stupid, you can probably get enough coworker support
to get it changed.  It's alot different than thumbing your nose at your
superiors and saying "Nya, nya, I'm not following your stupid policy."
Blatantly igoring policy has some dire consequences, at least, if you
value you future employment (either where you're at now, or at future
employers who are bound to ask why you're looking for a job.)

The concept this revolves around is called *respect*, something today's
society is generally lacking, I fear.

Regards,

--Joe