[rc5] Re: Availability of Bovine source code

Richard Freeman rfreeman at netaxs.com
Mon Nov 10 09:43:32 EST 1997

On Sun, 9 Nov 1997, Chris Arguin wrote:

> Of course, that does leave the option for some dishonest user to find a
> way to cheat (for example, with the rc5 project to just return
> immediately saying it tested all blocks). There is little benefit to this
> sort of activity, but that has never stopped anyone before.

But what would have benefit would be to tweak the source so that
potentially good blocks are not returned - that way the owner gets the
whole $10K without spending time searching blocks that have already been
done.  The other efforts could do the same thing - sign out thousands of
blocks and distribute them themselves - and not report back the correct
answer - that way they don't overlap our keyspace...  Lots of potential
problems here...