[rc5] Win32 GUI client is a trojan?

Richard Freeman rfreeman at netaxs.com
Mon Nov 10 10:02:41 EST 1997

On Mon, 10 Nov 1997, hrdluk wrote:

> Oh come on, Software Police? what are you talking about?  You and I both
> know you are talking out of your ass.  And while we're at it, I'd like to

Hmm - nobody just bangs down doors looking for Pirated software.  However,
if a computer gets confiscated for some other reason - maybe it was used
in a crime or something, and pirated software is on it, then you might
find a warrent issued to search your other computers.  Copyright
infringements are EXTREMELY expensive on a corporate scale - these are the
people that really give $$$ to the software companies, and they are not
shown much mercy.  I know that in my field scientific software is often
massively overpriced (the whole supply and demand thing I suppose - not
that this is unfair or anything).  You could pay > $1000 for a program
that just does a few tasks or which interfaces with an insturment via an
undisclosed set of protocols.  This is low volume software, so when piracy
is discovered, big lawsuits occur.  I've heard of research institutions
being sued for huge amounts for things like this.

> express the fact that I use pirated software, I run bovine on computers
> that I don't own but do operate, whose owners do not know or can even
> understand what encryption is, and I go faster that 55mph on the
> highway.  How about you spread your pitiful morals somewhere else and
> start talking about cracking.  This list is starting to sound like a
> bunch of tired old has-beens who shout "rule #1, CYA"  twelve times a
> day,  have yet to grow a set of balls and conform to every company policy
> handed down by management.  once again cracking not company policy

Sad day we live in...  As somebody else already pointed out - respect has
little value...  Kind of like the employee who thinks that it is unfair
that their boss didn't spend $2000 on a top-of-the-line pentium for them
to do their word-processing on (maybe businessess should screen out these
sort of employees by starting everyone out on a probationary status and
giving them typewriters).

Of course the speed limit is an ironic situation.  I would say that a
majority of US citizens violate it, but at the same time, it is obvious
that a majority of US citizens don't mind it being illegal and that they
can be fined for doing so.  If people really were concerned about the
limit, then it would have been enough of an issue for it to have been
repealed...  As much as people complain about the US govt - the majority
gets exactly what it wants...  (Some might debate whether this is in fact
a good thing - I liked somebody who once said that democracy is the worst
form of government, but the only form that actually works...)  As it is
said in some circles - whatever a man sows, that will he also reap...