[rc5] How to get win32 client to send while already online

Robert A. Costner pooh at efga.org
Mon Nov 10 12:58:10 EST 1997

At 12:32 PM 11/10/97 -0500, Andrew Buettner wrote:
>Using the win32gui client, I want to only send if a modem connection is
>established, otherwise I want it to do random blocks.  How can I go about
>doing this?
>
>-Andrew Buettner
>buettner at ecn.purdue.edu

(I've tested some of this, the rest is based on the docs)

Edit your RC564GUI.ini file (click on it or use notepad) and edit your
threshold setting as follows:

	threshold=0:5

I've not tried it, but that should cause zero blocks to be downloaded, and
an attempt to upload every time you have 5 or more blocks in your our
buffer.  This would have the effect of causing only random blocks to be
checked.

But if you want to participate in the effort, you might be better off doing
non duplicating blocks with

	threshold=200:5

which will download 200 clocks (the maximum) and attempt to send every five
blocks.  If you are offline, you will lose about 30 seconds while the
system tries to send to a connection that does not exist.  Based on a
threshold of 5, and a search time of 20 minutes per block, that means you
would be trying to transmit about once every hour and a half. (100 minutes,
actually)

There is no way to detect a modem connection, so you just have to adjust
your threshold for what is probable and go from there.  Random blocks are
done whenever you exhaust the in buffer.

  -- Robert Costner                  Phone: (770) 512-8746
     Electronic Frontiers Georgia    mailto:pooh at efga.org
     http://www.efga.org/            run PGP 5.0 for my public key