[rc5] Thinking of an Alpha

Eric Gindrup gindrup at okway.okstate.edu
Mon Nov 10 20:11:51 EST 1997

     First, that estimate is from the poster's own message.  Second, from a
     random memory advertisement (in the 18 November 1997 PC Mag, p. 67):
     168-pin (DIMM), 4x72 (ECC)
        32MB: $139   64MB: $293

     First items on PriceWatch (www.pricewatch.com) in
     System Memory :: EDO 64MB:
        EDO ECC (  buffered): $199
        EDO ECC (unbuffered): $224
     System Memory :: ECC 128MB
        EDO ECC (unbuffered): $589
        EDO ECC (  buffered): $599

     128MB DIMMs are still a little exotic and thus slightly inflated.
     But, there's nothing in here that leads me to believe that $4/MB is
     unreasonable for ECC EDO memory.

     :)  I don't seem to find ECC SDRAM specifically listed.  I do,
     however, find a lot of lunatic vendors who seem to think $10/MB is a
     reasonable starting price.

     Finally, the biggest deal for ECC (anymore) is to correct transmission
     errors on the bus.  As bus (and chip) voltages get lower, they will be
     more susceptible to transmission interference (from their own
     emissions, usually) and the extra error correcting code bits help to
     recover transmissions that are incorrect in only one bit.
     Comparatively, very few errors occur on the chips.
            -- Eric Gindrup ! gindrup at okway.okstate.edu