[rc5] Stats solution?

Tom Marshall tommym at owt.com
Mon Nov 10 21:23:15 EST 1997

I'm a bit disturbed about all the bickering around here.  Quite a bit seems
to stem from the (lack of) stats and similar (lack of) responsiveness from
d.net's staff.

I have only been in this game for about 2 weeks so I don't know how it was
'before'.  And I don't want to get into a discussion about the staff.  My
main concern is finding a solution to this problem.  Threatening to leave,
or worse yet, leaving is not going to solve anything.  The momentum that
has been created here is quite amazing.  Breaking away isn't going to
accomplish anything.

That said, I may have at least a partial solution to the problem.  I have a
virtual domain setup with a large virtual server company that claims a
45Mbit net connection.  This would seem to be plenty of bandwidth.
However, my account is short on disk space.  If we can either (1) band
together to purchase more disk space, or (2) convince these people that we
represent a worthy cause, then perhaps we could solve this problem.  I will
inquire about the possibilities tomorrow.  If I get a positive response,
perhaps we can lay this issue to rest.

I don't really want to get involved in setting up the main stats page.
That's a job for the staff.  However, if the teams would use a proxy, each
team could get their own stats at will.  I have set this up for my team and
the results can be viewed at http://www.savantsoft.com/rc5stats/.  My stats
script is freely available for any team to use.  If we gathered up the URLs
for all the participating teams, perhaps I could write a script to display
overall stats for the group.  Of course, this would not be official.  It
would not be complete either.  But it seems to be a workable stopgap solution.

Tommy