[rc5] Stats solution? (long)

Eric Gindrup gindrup at okway.okstate.edu
Tue Nov 11 00:22:14 EST 1997

     Too late.  Nugget himself tells us in mail dated (24 October 1997,
     just before noon, "[rc5] I'm in a weird mood... (long rant)") that

          Now, granted, I was kinda focused on the stats engine which
          sucked up quite a bit of my time, but I've got to be
          completely honest here.  At about the point we hit
          2Gkeys/sec (and maybe even a bit earlier) I got really lazy.

          I mean, REALLY lazy.  I completely stopped recruiting
          people.  The end was in sight, our keyrate was twice what I
          ever expected we'd be able to attain, and Cyberian and I.M.
          were tiny specks in the rear-view mirror.  I was quite
          content with where we were.

     And not much has changed since then.  d.n support has fallen off
     dramatically since then.  Witness the high-utility clients in RC5-56
     that haven't been implemented yet (20 days into RC5-64).

     It looks like the Bovine crew succumbed to youthful exuberance and
     planned considerably more stories of building than they could finish
     in any reasonable time.  The realization of this fact typically
     results in a sullen response to those who would have you live up to
     your promises.

     D.n wants us to help them in all sorts of ways.  We're supposed to
     show how distributed computing can work.  We're supposed to show how
     the government's attempts at legislating encryption are idiotic.
     We're supposed to show how significant problems can be solved without
     any significant effort.  We're supposed to show what cooperative
     computing can accomplish.  We're supposed to help Bovine support
     Project Gutenberg.

     On the other hand,
     We're supposed to do this using only the clients that are made
     available, no matter how few those are, how poorly documented, or how
     buggy.  We're supposed to do this without asking for help from the
     inscrutable sources of these binaries.  We're supposed to do this
     without asking to see source to show that the clients *aren't* up to
     anything.  We're supposed to do this on our machines.  Cycles aren't
     free.  HD isn't free.  modem-time isn't free.  And, if I get caught at
     work "wasting" the companies resources, running this little client
     will have a significant cost.

     And yet, despite all that, I've been doing this since August.  Why
     have I been doing it all that time?

     Because Nugget and all the rest had become lazy.  Maintaining the
     effort was easy because there were no innovations occurring.  The
     clients actually worked.  The stats actually worked.  Asking for help
     actually worked (even though you almost never needed to ask).
     Suddenly, RC5-56 ended and Bovine was caught flat-footed.

     The vaporous v3 spec was so far out in the future that there was no
     way it could be completed in time to keep the client base from
     disintegrating.  Thus, a more realizable project had to be chosen.
     That was RC5-64.  Many people left jsut because of that.  Why?
     Because, first, RC5-64 is just like RC5-56, only longer and less
     interesting, and second, because it was a first indicator about how
     lazy Bovine had actually become.

     We don't have the interest to code up a new project, so we'll just
     tweak some of the clients into new clients and try to keep not doing
     anything.

     This would have been fine, but...

     Oh, let's change how stats are run.  Let's change the proxies.  Let's
     overcommit our resources so we can become burnt out and tired.  Let's
     also decide to not focus on the task at hand, but focus on some
     ethereal task far in the future.  That way, if we don't work on it,
     who'll know?

     So, instead of being the low-traffic, constant chugging key engine
     that Bovine was just a month ago, it's become a tired, overwrought,
     snippy beast whose current hope is to last until a miracle called v3
     arrives.

     Meanwhile, there are now only 8000 e-Mails in an organization that
     reliably doubled every 2.5 weeks prior to starting RC5-64.  How many
     users have been lost because they can only run a Win16 client?  How
     many have quit because of having huge tracts of blocks eaten by a
     proxy?  How many have quit because their reason for participating was
     to have bigger stats than the people across town?  How many have quit
     because, when they asked for help, their heads were chopped off and
     they were told to post to the "right mailing list" and when they
     posted there were told that you can't *actually* get help unless
     you're on IRC and when they got out *there* were ignored?  How many
     people have been lost because they don't feel comfortable running
     someone else's black-box code on their machines?

     How many more will be lost before the effort disintegrates or the
     Bovine crew starts to show a little action, motivation, and
     dedication.

     The Bovine persons claim that they have lives beyond d.n.  So do the
     people running their clients -- you know, the people spending zillions
     of man hours hunting for non-existent clients, continuously trying to
     peek in at non-existent stats, reliably blowing hours tracking down
     mysterious errors in d.n code, generally lurking on the newsgroups and
     IRC just in case, maybe, one of the aloof cow types just might grace
     us with something that the cow typ wants -- a working client/perproxy
     with correct instructions that ultimately generates correct stats.
     The d.n people have the advantage in that they get to see progress.
     From out here, there is nothing to see.

     It took me a few years as a geek in the workplace to reealize that the
     perception of action was much more important than the reality of it.
     The current perception is that the Bovine crew considers us somewhat
     akin to dirt because we are running their client and supporting their
     agenda.  The perception is that there is no interest in providing
     clients for users who'd like to help support that agenda.  The
     perception is that anyone not able to intuit the workings of a
     closed-source program is beneath notice and a target for ridicule.
     The perception is that anyone who complains about this will be
     declared a whiner and summarily dismissed by the d.n people.  The
     perception is that the effort can just off and die because it's too
     inconvenient for the Bovine crew to actually have anything to do with
     them.

     I think Bovine would have been great.  Maybe it will be.  I'm not
     banking on it.
            -- Eric Gindrup ! gindrup at okway.okstate.edu