[rc5] Re: RAM (Thinking of an Alpha)

Michael Zieger m.zieger at kem.ac.at
Tue Nov 11 15:42:13 EST 1997

At 09:15 11.11.97 -0500, Skip Huffman wrote:
>ECC is the SAFEST type of generally available memory.  Non-Parity
>memory will corrupt data on any error.  Parity will only corrupt on
>2-bit or greater errors.  ECC will only corrupt on 3-bit or greater
>errors.
I know about that. I just wanted to say that using non-parity RAM, as
almost all PCs in the world use it now, is a pain in the ass. That guy with
the Alpha should be _GLAD_ that he _CAN_ use ECC RAM, since (almost) no PCs
can use it, many PCs not even Parity-RAM.

At least I would be glad if I could buy this "expensive" and fast RAM and
use it in my PC. ;-)

bye, mike

// Michael Zieger
// All computers wait at the same speed - why not install RC5?
//-- Any CPU time left?    Help us at: http://rc5.kem.ac.at/
//-- Crack RC5-64          64bit code cracking with Team-RC5 at kem.ac.at
// End Of Mail