[rc5] Java and RC5

Marc Sissom msissom at dnaent.com
Tue Nov 11 09:45:48 EST 1997

Joseph Fisk wrote:

> On Tue, 11 Nov 1997, The Man wrote:
>
> > Justin Cave wrote:
> >
> > On my PII-266, Linux, NS4.03, I get ~1600 keys/sec, a factor of
> _210_
> > slower than my usual half-speed rate of 330k. I'll keep my assembly
> > version.
>
> I think the purpose of the Java client is to help spread the word
> about RC5 rather than become a viable substitute for the assembly
> core.

Indeed, it could also provide prressure for improvement in the
various slow VMs if it did not already exist. I got this:

        136886 keys/sec

These results from a ppro 233, nt4, nsc4.01, running as a light
weight disk server, pproxy server for rc5, internal web service,
etc. 'Normal' perf for the rc5 w32gui is ~500K.