[rc5] Java and RC5

Joseph Fisk joe at rm405n-a.roberts.fit.edu
Tue Nov 11 12:01:35 EST 1997

On Tue, 11 Nov 1997, Steve Trottier wrote:

> The proxy could communicate with both the
> applet and with the regular key servers to distribute valid keys to the
> applet and report back the results. Also, the applet can't write to disk, so
> buff files are out. Each keyblock would need to either be reported back
> immediately when finished or stored in memory until it could be.

I would also recommend using a much smaller block size, such as 2^20.  Or
run a short benchmark and pick a blocksize based on that.  If a client is
only scoring 1000 keys/sec then a 2^20 block would never get done; use a
2^16 block instead.

By using a smaller block size more work would get done.  People who happen
to have hit a page with the rc5 probably won't care much about it and will
skip to the next page.. at least one or two 2^16 blocks will have been
completed.

> I know that members of the Bovine team have said that the RC5 project isn't
> the place for Java, and I'm not looking for an argument really, but what
> Greg has put together IS interesting and provides some very real
> possibilities.

I agree.  A java client would be great for spreading the word.  Also I see
nothing evil about people putting the client on their home page as long as
it isn't hidden.

Joseph