[rc5] Java and RC5

Michael Zieger m.zieger at kem.ac.at
Tue Nov 11 18:30:46 EST 1997

At 10:36 11.11.97 -0600, Marc Sissom wrote:
>In my experience with varying proc clock rates, bus clocks,
>wait states, etc. you _never_ want to decrease the bus speed.
>I assume that it was 60x4. It takes a big boost in processor
>speed to offset the lost time on bus cycles. 66x3.5 will almost
>always beat that 60x4 arrangement. Apparently even in a proc
>intensive benchmark like the rc5.
But the PPro has 1st & 2nd level cache on chip, with the 2nd level cache
even running at full speed. And the rc5-client runs completely within that
caches, so higher CPU speed should lead to higher rc5-performance. For
real-world applications, the higher bus-speed should be preferred.

dear, mike

// Do you know a better vehicle for         / -.--.      [  ] Honda
// the city?                               _~\  \__`--'/---\  CBR
// e-mail: m.zieger at kem.ac.at             //\\\   `--'[____]  1000
// I am from Vienna/Austria/Europe/Earth  \__/ `----''\__/
// End Of Mail