[rc5] Java and RC5

Robert Brooks robertb at geocities.com
Tue Nov 11 12:33:39 EST 1997

At 12:49 PM 11/11/97 -0500, you wrote:
>Why not have the "client" be the thing that sits on the web server end of
>the connection? I would download this client and serve it on my home page.

So, would this be a solution for web page owners like myself who don't have
access to the physical server?  I'd love to be able to let some of my
visitors help with the RC5 effort, especially if the Java app is small
enough that I don't hog bandwidth.

Although we'll need to remember that real-world stats won't even be as good
as the baby stats we're reporting.  Here's what I got on a P-150 MMX
(former P-90 with Overdrive MMX upgrade), 64 Meg RAM, running NS 3.01fr:

Hit GO and watch: 9183 keys/sec
Hit GO and scroll around the page: 7252 keys/sec
Hit GO and write this email: 7345 keys/sec

So when calculating how many keys your visitors can crack for you, it might
be a good idea to scale back the estimates by some 20% to account for Java
being nice to other browser processes.

But if I added such an app to my Wallpaper Heaven! pages, at 500 hits/day,
I could add several MKeys to the effort -- 2.5MKeys for each second that my
visitors hang around, assuming an average of 5000 keys/second.

What would be cool, though, would be to get one of the big free space sites
like Geocities or (maybe more likely) Tripod to put a Java cracker app in
their ad rotation.

Robert Brooks / robertb at geocities.com
http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/4535/graph.html (Wallpaper Heaven!)
http://www.flash.net/~totoro/ (Totoro Consulting / totoro at flash.net)