[rc5] Thinking of an Alpha (the end)

Eric Gindrup gindrup at okway.okstate.edu
Tue Nov 11 16:58:54 EST 1997

     I don't find that any of the Alphas I have anything to do with are
     more trouble than they are worth.  For processor intensive
     applications they are my tool of choice.  Their I/O is a little
     bottlenecky, though.

     I don't see why you claimed that Alphas were so much trouble.  RAM for
     Alphas is starting to become mainstream for PCs just because hihg-end
     PCs are starting to be where low end Alphas were a couple of months
     ago.  This means RAM prices for Alpha users are falling as the supply
     trickles in to feed the PC users.  Most Alphas use standard SCSI
     components and those are becoming mainstream as PC users suddenly want
     to do more than one I/O operation at once (without very slow
     juggling).

     Where's the gripe?

     I posted sites where the RAM could be had for ~US$3.50/MB.  How much
     do you think RAM should cost?
            -- Eric Gindrup ! gindrup at okway.okstate.edu