[rc5] Java and RC5

Marcus Rugger rugger at iglou.com
Wed Nov 12 11:58:35 EST 1997

On Wed, 12 Nov 1997, Slim wrote:

> >I'm willing to create a record in our dns servers rc5java.spidertrap.com
> >that will direct clients to whatever server we decide to use.
>
> I don't think that there ought to be any kind of single central server;
> the server end of this thing should (and I think for java security reasons
> must) be run on the web server which is giving out the java applet. Then
> anyone with a web server can download the java applet/server backend
> package and run it as another client, one that works by collecting the
> keys checked by the java applets rather than by checking them itself (this
> web server may already be running a conventional client).

You make a good point.  As I understand it though, there are many people
who can and would be willing to put the applet in their web pages but
would not be able to place the server backend on their server (like maybe
their ISP won't let them).  The server I proposed above was for just such
a purpose.  Their web pages could reference the applet on
rc5java.spidertrap.com.  Almost like plug and play.

> Because of the inavailability of the v2 source code, this is going to have
> to involve the "official" Bovine people. Much of the current UNIX client
> could be used -- the parts that communicate with the proxy servers,
> maintain the buffers, and so forth. The threads that do the actual key
> checking would be replaced by code that communicates with the java
> applets, collects their checked keys, and assembles them into the
> conventional key blocks.

One idea I had was to use the flush command of the current rc5 clients.
If somebody knows the file format of the buff-in and buff-out files then
the server backend would use those files to 'fetch and upload' keys from.
Then execute a 'real' rc5 client to flush the buffers.  Probably not the
cleanest way of doing it though.

I'm sure many people are going to have many ideas on this.  Let's hear
'em.

Marcus