[rc5] Java and RC5

Robert Brooks robertb at geocities.com
Wed Nov 12 11:46:25 EST 1997

At 06:20 PM 11/12/97 +0100, you wrote:
>How "nice" would this Java client be in terms of overhead on the system? I
>can imagine most people would not like the memory footprint of something
>like Netscape loaded in their system just to crank out keys.

But if I put it on my pages, I'm just trying to get the most out of my
visitor's CPU while they're reading my text.  When they're done reading
(brain-intensive but not CPU-intensive), they'll go elsewhere and I'll have
contributed a few more Kkeys to the effort.  I don't see this client as
being anyone's primary key contributor -- this distinction has been noted
before.

>Would the Java client detect a "more serious" (or
>should I just call it "classic" :-P) client running on a system,

Can Java even tell what else is running on a system?  I thought that the
sandbox model was intended to prevent apps from gaining that sort of
intimate knowledge of my PC.

Robert Brooks / robertb at geocities.com
http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/4535/graph.html (Wallpaper Heaven!)
http://www.flash.net/~totoro/ (Totoro Consulting / totoro at flash.net)