[rc5] Java and RC5

Joe Zbiciak j-zbiciak1 at ti.com
Wed Nov 12 12:03:41 EST 1997

'Robert Brooks' said previously:

| But if I put it on my pages, I'm just trying to get the most out of my
| visitor's CPU while they're reading my text.  When they're done reading
| (brain-intensive but not CPU-intensive), they'll go elsewhere and I'll have
| contributed a few more Kkeys to the effort.  I don't see this client as
| being anyone's primary key contributor -- this distinction has been noted
| before.

In fact, this wouldn't be any different of a use of people's CPUs than those
godfersaken over-hyper animated GIFs I see everywhere, and this would be
quite a bit more productive, to boot!  :-)

| Can Java even tell what else is running on a system?  I thought that the
| sandbox model was intended to prevent apps from gaining that sort of
| intimate knowledge of my PC.

I don't think it can.  But, the JVM may have "niceness" policies built into
its own behavior (doubtful, though, in the current trend of "My JVM's/JIT's
better than yours!  Nya, nya!".... :-)

--Joe